Two songs of Ilyaraja in Kalyani Raaga-In the same boat, yet so different!!

Hi friends,
                The month of June is supposed to bring the southwest monsoons synonymous with the school reopening. But, if anybody is following anything, they can see that the rain gods are failing to shower us liberally up to now. If there are no rains, water problem is going to be acute, more power shortages, agricultural crises etc. Oh, Tansen, please bring back those rain showers with your magical voice in megh malhar raag. We are all starved for those cloudy, gloomy, hot pakoda-tea days.
                      We do not require a Tansen to tell us that music of any form has profound effect on our lives. Music transcends boundaries, languages, and acts as a therapy for the troubled souls and physical aches. As one who has learnt carnatic music from my childhood, (a common practice for tamil girls to learn carnatic music in our community) I have grown up to appreciate music of almost all the forms, irrespective of language and the genre it belongs to. From my personal experience, it has acted as a healer of  pains(physical or mental) to some extent. For good or bad, I am more of a listener than a singer (though I have felt at times that my beautiful voice is wasted for the lack of practice). I listen to carnatic music, light music, film songs, ( Tamil, Malayalam, Hindi, Kannada) Western music, instrumental, and recently, becoming a lover of Hindustani or ghazal songs. I am not proficient enough in Hindi or Urdu, but my love for ghazal developed after listening to the carnatic songs for a long time.
                                Talking about the ragas in the carnatic music, some of them make deeper impact on us. Some of my favorite raagas are Reethi gowlai, Kalyani, Bhairavi, Vasantha, Rampriya, Lathaangi, Shanmughapriya, Kamaas, Aabhogi, Saveri, Shudhasaveri, Shriranjini, Ranjini, Mayamaalavagowla(first swaras of this raaga taught to children), SindhuBhairavi, YamunaKalyani. If I recollect more, I will put down here. Though I know very little about Hindustani music, I find that  Hindustani and Carnatic forms have some connection. The raagas of Kalyani and Yaman(YamunaKalyani in south) are very popular in Hindustani and it is a pleasure to listen to the ghazals in these raags.
                                          Music directors have used many of these raagas and incorporated in making film songs to give us some evergreen songs. Kalyani is one such raaga which has been liberally used by the composers in films because of its 'bright nature' and is supposed to reduce depression. Some of the well-known songs composed by Ilayraja based on Kalyani raagam are:

1. Kalaivaaniye from 'Sindhubhairavi.'
 2. Devan thantha veenai from 'Unnai Naan Santhithen.'
3. Kaatril varum geethame from 'Oru naal Oru Kanavu.'
4. Vellai Puravundru from 'Pudhukavithai'
5. Vaidhehi Raman from 'Pagal Nilavu.'
6. Amma Endru Azhaikkatha from 'Mannan'.
7. Janani Janani from 'Thai Mookambikai'

                                                          From this, I pick up the 6th and the 7th songs and want to tell something about it. The song 'Amma Endru' was sung by KJ Yesudas  and RajniKanth is shown carrying the sick mother and conveying the message that, 'there is no life without mother, millions can be paid to buy ornaments but the affection cannot be got, I am always indebted to you as I know the pains you underwent in bringing me up......etc.' Fine. But, I felt this song was over emotional and melodramatic. Did the film director make like this to suit RajniKanth's style in being a 100% son to a mother? Do we require an actor like him to show us that our mothers went so many hardships? It could have been in somewhat mellowed manner. But, I feel that the mellowed and understated acting does not suit the Kollywood audience. Anyway, I am yet to develop some liking for this song and this is Not in my favorite list of songs. But, my love for my mother does not diminish in any way.



                                          Amma Endru Azhaikkatha from 'Mannan'.

          
                  The seventh song 'Janani Janani' from the film 'Thai Mookambikai' is also tuned by Ilayaraja in Kalyani raagam and sung by Krishna Chandran & Deepan Chakravarthy. In this song, Shankaracharya is shown praising the mother goddess as the mother of the earth, a savior of all. Some of the lyrics in this song are applicable to all the mothers. This song sounds more soothing to my ear and I keep hearing it over and over again. Yes, this is in my favorites' list. And, when I searched the 'Youtube', I found that this song(Janani Janani) has more visitors than the song 'Amma endru.' The real reason for liking this one is still not known to me. 
                                         
                                                   Janani Janani from Thai Mookambikai.
                    
Two compositions of Ilayaraja, in same raaga, almost the same theme, yet feels so different from each other!!!


Take care,


Deepa.

                                              




  
  

Comments

  1. Nowadays rain is scarce as is music in films

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Writeup about music

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I not able to open the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re-bonjour On dirait que les idées de cet debrieffing necessiteraient d’avantage de sources!! Cette vision parait bonne quoique je ne comprends pas les autres posts plus haut ; il faudrait apporter des précisions pour plus de conviction! Contactez moi au besoin songs of hope and healing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything similar to this just before. So nice to discover somebody by incorporating original thoughts on this subject. realy we appreciate you beginning this up. this web site are some things that is required on the internet, somebody with a little originality. valuable work for bringing something totally new to your net! 528Hz regeneration

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say superb blog! sleep music soothing relaxation

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are soooo talented on paper. God is truly utilizing you within tremendous ways. You are carrying out a excellent work! It was an excellent weblog! music for stress relief relaxing music for stress

    ReplyDelete
  8. you use a wonderful weblog here! do you wish to develop invite posts in my blog? relaxing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ?V I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related info ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Nice task.. relaxing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Jack Sparrow.....Thanks for all your comments and kind words....truly encouraging!!!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for revealing your ideas. Something is that students have a solution between fed student loan and also a private education loan where it truly is easier to choose student loan consolidating debts than over the federal student loan. Meditation Music

    ReplyDelete
  11. What i don’t realize is in reality how you are no longer actually a lot more neatly-preferred than you may be right now. You are so intelligent. You understand thus considerably with regards to this subject, produced me in my view believe it from so many various angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated except it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs great. Always maintain it up! meditation

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site. positive energy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I just started reading your blog – thank you for writing. As an FYI that it’s not displaying properly on the BlackBerry Browser (I have a Pearl). Anyway, I’m now subscribed to your RSS feed on my laptop, so thanks again! relaxing music with ocean waves

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks. https://ythub.cc/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! https://btclod.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loosening up music, unwinding music, reflection music... call it what you will. There is no doubt that it can assist us with forming our current circumstances successfully and can be changed to suit or impact our mindset. healing music

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the present society, any place there is radio, TV, film, or the web, we will be presented to music. Music is surrounding us and is aware so significant that is utilized by essentially every organization in the world to sell us their items and administrations. Regularly we are totally neglectful of the sounds floating out of those in-store speakers or the effect and show of an activity film soundtrack put in a vehicle advert. forest of africa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Music is an intricate language that can pass on any feeling or invoke a reaction from any crowd. Simultaneously music is basic and generally justifiable. HD

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh! it's quite pity when i can't see the vidoes anymore. Could you check and update those again! apk.care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading...will upload those videos again...

      Delete
  20. Hey, I just started reading your blog – thank you for writing. As an FYI that it’s not displaying properly on the BlackBerry Browser
    woodoku
    movcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and feedback...will upload those videos again...

      Delete
  21. What a pity that I cant watch your video. Its not available for us. Could you check it again and inform me when it work? I will go back to you guys then. APK Download

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love your intro, feel peace. And i want to tell that sometimes music makes us more comfortable. Be a listener good too. Thanks for this post, a litte delicate feeling Apkdownload

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your insight for the great posting. Please visit my blog to refer to the methods of learning English for children.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fab information on this website. keep posting such things
    Best Digital Marketing Agency

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

25 years since 'Shanti-Ek Aurat ki kahaani'

From the present to the past