Happy New year with 'Parker pen'!!!!

Hello everybody,
                          Did not think myself I will be back this soon. Wish you all a very happy and a prosperous new year. And why this strange title 'Happy New Year with Parker pen'? Did I go to a gift store to buy a set of greeting cards and then write in them the new year messages personally? Sounds so outdated right? In this era of FB, whatsapp, twitter, Snapchat when we still don't have the patience of sending the New Year 'GIF' photos or slides to thousands of 'friends' across the globe, who still goes and buys those set of attractive New Year greeting cards? But if you have grown up during 80s and 90s, I am sure many of us would have done that. I remember that I used to wait for each New Year to arrive to feel the fresh smell and the beauty of the new cards. Actually, we were spoilt for choices when it was about buying cards. Later on, my sister used to make greeting cards painstakingly, and I was good more with words. It was just an awesome combination which our grandparents used to wait to receive from us. This would be followed by my grandpa's letter praising my sis' greeting cards and my hand-written letters. The arrival of the internet revolution and smart phones have made the paper greeting cards totally redundant.
                                                 Now I am coming to this bizarre title. On the New Year's eve, we had a party in our apartment complex and there was prize distribution for the winners of the annual Sports' Day event. My husband and his friends were awarded Parker Pens for winning in the Lawn tennis games. When you own a Parker pen, you feel you own something which has royal value attached to it. We never bought or owned one, and my husband was naturally thrilled when he saw it. The pens look sleek and they are more expensive than the other brands. But, these pens did set me thinking. How many times and how much will my husband or his friends really use those pens? The practice of writing on hard paper is long gone after we left the school/college. Except to put signatures, note down phone numbers hurriedly, write the names on gifts wrapped, or to note down certain things while attending workshops when one works in an organization, this practice has reduced a lot. This has to do with the advent of internet, computers, smart phones where everything is as simple as copy/paste. And, how many of us will give Parker pens to our school-going kids? We will fear that they will be careless and lose them easily! My husband said that the chances that he will use it is less than 2%.
                                        I used to write so much when during my school/college days not just in English, but also in Malayalam and Hindi. I was fond of writing letters and essays. But that has reduced a lot over a period of time, and as I have passed typing exams, I find typing on the keyboard easier than sitting and writing. I also keep editing my own articles repeatedly and with lot of ease. When I try to actually write in paper, my hand trembles and is inhibitive, more so when it comes to writing in Malayalam. My dad, father-in-law,   96-year-old grandpa who are less acquainted with computers, still find writing in paper/books more comfortable. Their handwriting is still crisp and neat which does indicate the sharpness of their minds, touch wood! When I type on a keyboard, I feel my fingers are more mechanical. Writing on paper always has benefits. When we write, the whole of the mind and the body is focused at a particular point, and it helps us to keep our mental faculties alert and sharp and also help to some extent in warding off memory-related ailments as we age. Which is why I find good reasons to use that expensive pen, rather than watch it gathering dust. I teach and learn music and it requires writing of lot of lessons to understand more and I have decided to use it for a good purpose. Now, does that sound like a resolution? I would like to sign off this article by writing 'Happy New Year' with the new pen.

              No automatic alt text available.

     Luv,
   Deepa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two songs of Ilyaraja in Kalyani Raaga-In the same boat, yet so different!!

25 years since 'Shanti-Ek Aurat ki kahaani'

From the present to the past